Our expert Concierge Team all have first hand knowledge of our Retreats. Donna Wan visited Natural Retreats The Heritage and here are her top five recommendations.
- Emo Court – Located just a 10 minute drive from Natural Retreats The Heritage, Emo Court is a must. You can pass a pleasant few hours enjoying a guided tour of the neo-classical house or exploring the beautiful gardens and parkland. There are formal lawned areas, informal walks through woodland and a large lake complete with ducks and swans, a favourite with children. There’s also a lovely tea-room and picnic tables within the grounds.
- Abbeyleix – A beautiful heritage town complete with vintage lampposts and a market square with feature fountain. Located less than half an hour away it’s a truly wonderful and attractive town and boasts many areas of interest for all the family to enjoy. Visit the local museum and beautiful public library, explore the many gardens and walks and admire the ornate churches. And, when you’re in need of a bite to eat, settle down in Morrissey’s, a fantastic pub straight out of a bygone era.
- Rock of Dunamase – Dominating the surrounding countryside this ruined 9th century fortress is only 20 minutes away from Natural Retreats The Heritage. Enjoy a short walk up the hill and you’ll be rewarded with amazing views of the landscape from all directions. Nearby is the village of Stradbally, home to the National Steam Rally in August and the Electric Picnic at the end of August/early September. Oakvale Wood on Carlow Road, just out of the village, is a lovely walking path with Mass Rock (used during Penal times) on route.
- Kildare - From walks in the great outdoors to great shopping, fascinating culture, history and heritage, Kildare makes a fantastic place to visit. Head to Kildare Stud farm, home to Irish bloodstock champions, and the Japanese Gardens with its beautiful paths and greenery. When you need a bit of retail therapy Kildare Village is the place to be, a shopping outlet featuring designer and brand name products at discounted prices.
- Birr Castle Demesne – Offering something for everyone to enjoy, Birr Castle Demesne is an hour’s drive away. Perfect for a day out you’ll discover Ireland’s Historic Science Centre with its café and shop. You can then explore the 50 hectares of parkland, visit the magnificent formal gardens and terraces and see Birr’s world famous engineering and astronomical wonder – the Great Telescope. There’s also a fabulous tree house adventure play area situated at the entrance to the gardens.
Donna Wan, Reservations and Concierge